At the end of each of her show’s Ellen DeGeneres says “Be kind”.
You don’t have to go far today to find T-shirts, art work and numerous stationery items that state this or something similar. Our consciousness around this concept is growing.
I do however wonder if this only goes one-way for some of us. Do we actually stop to reflect on whether we are being kind to ourselves?
Here are a few questions to support your self-reflection…
- Do you place mammoth expectations on yourself to get things achieved in unrealistic time-frames?
- Do you hold-back from sharing how you are feeling?
- Do you use language such as “I should” or “I’ve got to?”
- Do you drive yourself to the brink of near burnout?
- Is your internal voice harsh and derogatory?
- Do you allow energy vampires to suck the life-blood from you?
- Do you often place work ahead of you-time or family/friend time?
- Do you let people come into your life who don’t honour you?
…and the list goes on.
These are all forms of self-sabotage. Self-awareness and self-kindness are major antidotes to this.
As well as putting kindness out, how about you turn your attention inward and send a little kindness inside?
How about you give yourself permission to:
- Ask for help
- Take some time-out
- Do something for yourself
- Say “no”
- Say “yes”
- Say “enough!”
This week let’s turn a little of that kindness inward.
Take it deep into your heart-space and honour yourself for the incredible person you are.